SY23-24 Middle School Science and Math Job
RemoteChicago, Illinois, United StatesGreat Minds Schools
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
THIS IS A JOB POSTING FOR US PERFORMANCE ACADEMY, INC. (“USPA”). Any successful applicant will be an employee of USPA.
USPA is seeking a dynamic, technologically-savvy, licensed History teacher for its Great Minds Program which it expects to commence instruction in in Fall 2023. USPA’s Great Minds Program will be conducted in consultation with Great Minds, a District of Columbia nonprofit corporation and 501(c)(3) organization.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This Middle School Science and Math teaching role is highly collaboratively in a synchronous learning environment to include classes taught throughout the day in real time. One that sparks students’ curiosity, builds students’ character, and develops student knowledge by leveraging technology.
Employees are expected to perform the duties and responsibilities outlined in the policies and contract. The performance standards listed below represent the essential functions of the job.
- Prepares and customizes high quality curriculum materials to be dynamic asynchronous and synchronous virtual lessons
- Presents lessons effectively and promotes student engagement
- Develops sequenced and robust unit plans
- Demonstrates a variety of effective teaching techniques (for both synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences)
- Provides for differences of individuals and groups (both accommodations and differentiation)
- Evaluates student achievement effectively
- Applies a variety of assessment strategies
Classroom and School Environment
- Provides rich and meaningful classroom activities
- Demonstrates a belief in all students' ability to succeed and meet high expectations
- Interacts with students in a manner that encourages respectful relationships among students and teacher
- Promotes the development of self-esteem in students
- Addresses the needs of individual students
- Strives to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion through developing a positive class culture as well as through curricular resources
- Integrates social and emotional learning into class activities
- Applies a variety of technology tools to advance teaching and learning
- Maintains expertise in educational technology (edtech) trends
- Seeks training and practice with edtech tools
- Work collaboratively with parents, students, and technology professionals to troubleshoot student technology issues
- Applies a variety of instructional techniques in a remote-teaching environment
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal relations with staff
- Works cooperatively with school personnel (teachers, administrators, and staff) to benefit students
- Encourages positive school-community relationships
- Communicates effectively with parents to enhance the learning process by responding to or initiating parent contacts in a timely, professional and constructive manner
● Establishes and pursues goals to improve professional competence
● Works in a supportive role with colleagues (e.g. cooperative course planning, curriculum development, test construction, materials preparation, methodology)
● Maintains knowledge of current trends in his/her field through professional activities (e.g. attending professional meetings, enrolling in relevant courses, reading relevant literature)
● Adheres to School policies and procedures
● Identifies School or curriculum problems and suggest appropriate solutions
● Uses appropriate channels to resolve concerns and problems
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must have a professional teacher license
- At least three years of teaching experience with preferably at least one in a virtual or blended setting, preferably at the 6-12 level
- Experience working in a startup or school-founding environment preferred
- Success implementing Great Minds or other high, knowledge building quality curriculum preferred
- Comfortable in ambiguity and excited about innovation
- Demonstrated technology proficiency with experience navigating the virtual-education arena
- Strong relationship builder with ability to connect to students, parents/guardians and colleagues
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Strong work ethic, coachable attitude, and commitment to high standards
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including limited evenings and weekends as needed for organizational requirements
- Capacity to maintain the confidentiality around sensitive data
- Willingness to undergo a comprehensive background check
TRAVEL: This position may travel approximately 5% of the time, depending on location, to participate in quarterly and/or annual team meetings (average of 1–3 times/year).
Submittal of resume and cover letter are required
Selected candidates will be required to pass a comprehensive background check.
Written application submission and initial phone interviews will be completed on a rolling basis. Final interviews and performance tasks will take place virtually.
Any communication to applicants relating to the Great Minds hiring process will only come from email addresses with the domains greatminds.org, greatmindsvirtual.org or greatminds.recruitee.com. If in the course of the application or hiring process with Great Minds you are contacted through another domain, are requested to provide banking or other sensitive information, or you note any other suspicious activity, please contact email@example.com
US Performance Academy values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQI+ individuals, non-binary, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
US Performance Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.