Sr. Engineering Manager
United States, District of Columbia, Washington DCTechnology
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK-12 instructional materials space, seeks an experienced Senior Engineering Manager to help build our growing software engineering group.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1,000 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
OUR MARKET POSITION
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
The Senior Engineering Manager is responsible for the technical architecture, engineering practices, and professional development of one or more of our engineering teams. This person focuses on one of our digital platform application areas – CMS, Data, Integration, or Student/Teacher Experience. Successful candidates for this position have strong communication skills, a breadth of technology experience that helps you in making architecture recommendations, and are seen as an effective coach by your team. You get joy from coaching junior engineers and seeing the lightbulb moment when you’ve helped them get some new concept. Our software was born in the cloud. We have no on-premise data center. Successful candidates should be fluent in AWS and cloud native architectures and tools.
- Collaborate with product management to creatively design technology solutions that meet business and product requirements
- Communicate (written and verbal) technical architecture decisions and designs to software engineers, so they can effectively implement the design
- Review application code to ensure adherence to Great Minds technology standards
- Define and maintain organization technology standards
- Develop prototypes and reference architecture implementations to prove out and/or communicate application architecture
- Coach software engineers and testers on AWS components that can be used as part of their application and how best to automate their provisioning
- Provide technical guidance to software engineer team members through design sessions, code reviews, and pair programming
- Manage the performance of software engineers on your team, through professional coaching and mentoring, one-on-ones, and facilitating the performance review process
- Knowledge of cloud native application architectures, including one or more of the following: serverless, containerization, infrastructure-as-code.
- Ability to code application prototypes and reference architectures using one or more of the following languages/frameworks: NodeJS / Typescript, React, Terraform, NestJS.
- Able to effectively communicate application architecture (written and oral) to multiple audiences, including product, business, and software engineers.
- Able to coach and mentor one to ten software engineers through one-on-ones, performance reviews, and other forms of feedback.
- Able to manage the work of one to ten software engineers by managing their assignments in a way that allows growth and support.
- Skilled in the craft of software engineering, including knowledge of modern software engineering practices (git source control, CI/CD, package management, code quality metrics, code review practices).
- AWS Solution Architect or DevOps Associate level (or higher) certification preferred, or equivalent body of knowledge.
Required Education: Minimum of BA/BS degree
Location: Washington, DC
A cover letter and resume are required to be considered for this position.
If selected for an interview, background check will be required.
New employees will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, subject to potential accommodation as required by law or otherwise permitted by the Company.
Any communication to applicants relating to the Great Minds hiring process will only come from email addresses with the domains greatminds.org or greatminds.recruitee.com. If in the course of the application or hiring process with Great Minds you are contacted through another domain, are requested to provide banking or other sensitive information, or you note any other suspicious activity, please contact email@example.com
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.