Senior Software Engineer
Great Minds, a rapidly growing non-profit organization developing world class curricula for PK-12, seeks a Senior Software Engineer to design, implement, and lead software engineering activities including prototypes, in-depth technology analysis, best practices around code quality & management, and leading offshore development management. Our mission is to ensure all students have access to a quality education and the full range of liberal arts and sciences.
The uncompromising curriculum from Great Minds assumes that every child is capable of greatness. We bring teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™, and PhD Science™, all give school teachers what they need to take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences.
The Senior Software Engineer will be the first employee to join our Engineering Team to build the foundational elements of our digital platform that helps teachers and students achieve greatness. You will work on a modern, flexible, highly scalable tech stack to deliver amazing customer experiences through our products. You will have the opportunity to be on the ground in designing and building tools to scale our ability release world-class software products. Your commitment to learning new technology and how they will impact us in the future is paramount.
- Write clean, extensible, well-tested code.
- Participate in architecture, design, and implementation decisions for key components of our platform.
- Work closely with product management and stakeholders to ensure we're building the best products.
- Become a leader in our globally dispersed software engineering organization and garner team’s respect as an engineer.
- Help identify risks/impediments, escalate issues, bring transparency to deliverables and ensure Agile delivery.
- Contribute to code reviews and participate in the development of best practices within the engineering team.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of other engineers.
- Maintain professional growth, skills, and competencies of the team to continuously improve the quality of software engineering.
- Help build and grow an amazing culture as the first engineering team member.
- Adaptability and willingness to learn new languages and technologies.
- Proficiency in an Object-oriented programming language.
- Possess good communication and reasoning skills, including the ability to make a strong case for technology choices.
- Prior professional experience with Java, Python, or .NET.
- At least 5-7 years of experience as an engineer.
- Degree in Computer Science or another relevant engineering discipline.
- Sense of intellectual curiosity and a passion for learning with a strong problem-solving mindset.
- Be self-driven, actively look for ways to contribute, and knows how to get things done.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity; flexibility with potential role changes as the team grows.
- Experience with learning services technologies such as IMS LTI, QTI, and OneRoster standards, and any Learning Management System a plus.
- Experience with education or education technology.
Resume and cover letter required.
Selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal history background check.