Senior Director, Product Management (Humanities)
RemoteWashington, District of Columbia, United StatesProduct
Great Minds, a rapidly growing, mission driven Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) that develops high quality knowledge building curricula for grades PK-12, is seeking a Senior Director, Product (Humanities) to join our growing Product team.
Great Minds brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our curricula, Wit & Wisdom ®; Geodes; Eureka Math™; and PhD Science™ all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1100 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
Our Market Position
Great Minds’ Eureka Math™ is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ Net Promoter Score ™ Eureka Math™ and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom® and PhD Science ™, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
The Senior Director, Product works closely with the Chief Knowledge Officer (CKO) in developing and implementing the vision for the product portfolio that aligns to the Great Minds’ mission of serving all students with high-quality, knowledge building instructional materials. The Senior Product Director is responsible for building and leading the product team that executes the product vision in establishing, launching, and maintaining the product portfolio to customers.
This role is an exciting opportunity for an experienced product management leader with a passion for high-quality, knowledge-building curriculum and the belief that every child is capable of greatness. The ideal candidate will also have experience leading high achieving teams in a deadline intensive environment and the drive to innovate while remaining committed to the Great Minds’ organizational mission. While the work is remote and the ideal candidate will work well independently, this will also be a highly collaborative position, necessitating a strong sense of teamwork and cooperation.
Reports To: Chief Knowledge Officer
- Work in partnership with the Chief Knowledge Officer (CKO) to build a vision for the Product Portfolio aligned to the Great Minds knowledge building approach
- Manage the product management team in the execution of the product portfolio lifecycle for multiple complex core, supplemental, and state products, including product and market research, competitor analysis, planning, positioning, requirements and roadmap development, and product launch for product lines
- Develop the vision for the product life cycle, components, pricing, strategy, go to market for all products in the product portfolio
- Collaborate with the CKO and Senior Director, Content & Editorial to develop the product portfolio including strategy related to state adoptions, pricing bundles, sampling, and open territory/large-district opportunities
- Collaborate with the CKO and Product Marketing to determine the go to market strategy and product pricing for all products in the Product Portfolio
- Communicate the product vision and strategy to internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure the product vision is executed by the different teams involved in establishing, launching, and maintaining product portfolio to customers
- Proactively identify and resolve strategic issues within the product portfolio that may impair the organization’s ability to meet its strategic, financial, and technical goals
- Evaluate, strategize and problem solve around the effect of internal and external forces on the market with the CKO and Senior Director, Content & Editorial
- Set the product roadmap and prioritization for the product portfolio in line with Great Minds goals and strategy
- Monitor the Return on Investment (ROI) and Profit & Loss (P&L) for all products in the product portfolio and raises risks and remedies to the CKO
- Ensure that all products in the Product Portfolio – multiple core, supplemental, and state products -- are developed efficiently, on time, and within budget
- Steer the business development, market analysis, and innovation necessary to meet market opportunities and needs
- Provide oversight and ensure alignment between the instructional philosophy, content development and Great Minds digital platform in the delivery of features and customer experience.
- Support financial analysis and drive business case development for data-driven decisions on investment priorities
- Proactively partner with Implementation Success, Sales, and Marketing to ensure success across Go to Market activities for each new product/feature in the product portfolio
- Cultivate strong working relationships with leaders and professionals throughout the organization to ensure Enterprise and product team alignment with the Great Minds knowledge building vision
- Build, lead, coach, mentor, and develop a thoughtful, knowledgeable, and collaborative team of leaders, senior product managers, product managers, and associate product managers who execute the vision for the product portfolio
- Foster a healthy, strong team culture that values humility, feedback, and alignment to Great Minds mission, including knowledge-building and high-quality instructional materials
- At least 10 years of experience working in education publishing with a track record of success in product development, digital product management, curriculum development and/or project management, including 5 years supervisory experience leading and developing teams
- Strong background in product management and/or product development, preferably products in K-12 education
- Deep respect for and alignment to the philosophy, instructional design, and pedagogy of Great Minds’ knowledge-building vision
- Ability to navigate the Great Minds climate, where leadership often drives product vision and roadmap decisions
- Demonstrated success in a leadership role building, motivating, and inspiring cross-functional teams to achieve goals
- Possessing a leadership style that is collaborative and inclusive, creating the conditions, structure, and the framework leading to optimal levels of trust, efficiency, and success
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, including customers, sales team, content development teams, software engineers, and senior leadership that require a sophisticated level of sensitivity and excellent judgment
- Strong analytical thinking and decision-making skills to anticipate challenges, issues, or opportunities
- Proven track record of leading cross functional efforts with a collaborative approach, equally comfortable talking content development with writers, tech with developers, user experience with designers, copy and positioning with product marketers, numbers with finance and marketing, and strategy with executive leadership
- Experience in K-12 edtech, proficient in practices such as Agile and human-centered design
- Strong business acumen, with the ability to think about ROI, strategic pricing, and the potential value of ideas to help the team prioritize where and how to spend limited resources
- Ability to synthesize market, customer, and cross-organizational needs for teams, particularly teams new to product mindset, digital development, and revenue-driven decision-making
- Propensity to understand and know the market and competitors to strategize and think ahead for future opportunities that meet the Great Minds vision
- Experience in an editorial or media environment with an understanding of the challenges unique to the transformation of print materials to a digital format
- Capacity to receive and then apply external and internal content feedback from advisors, senior leadership, consultants, and colleagues
- Impeccable written, verbal, and social communication skills, demonstrating an ability to adapt to a variety of individual communication styles and needs
- Strong organizational habits necessary for successful goal setting, project management, collective decision making, deadline execution, and record keeping
- Ability to look ahead and balance strategic projects and initiatives with tactical day-to-day cadence with an ability to communicate and lead a team through flexible and ambiguous situations
- Fluent in the use of applications and collaboration tools such as Atlassian JIRA/Confluence, MS Office 365 and Google suite
- Ability to remain flexible in an ambiguous, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Passion for and commitment to the importance of high-quality, knowledge-rich curriculum
- Receptivity to feedback with a focus on reflective practice
- Willingness to embrace a mindset that is receptive to the perspectives of others
- Commitment to high standards and continuous improvement
- Proficiency at both working independently and collaborating as part of a team
- Highly collaborative with the ability to consistently exhibit diplomacy, tact, and integrity
- Willingness to bring a proactive problem-solving orientation to every task
- Appreciation for the challenges and victories faced everyday by classroom teachers
- Commitment to collective authorship
- Deep belief that every child is capable of greatness
- Bachelor’s degree
- Future travel (5%) may be required
A resume is required to be considered for this position.
The expected base salary range for this position is $190,000.00-$210,000.00. The offered salary, benefits and other incentives are dependent on numerous factors including, but not limited to location, work experience, skills and internal equity considerations.
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.