Senior Accountant - Revenue Recognition
United States, District of Columbia, WashingtonAccounting & Finance
Great Minds, a rapidly growing organization developing world-class curricula for Grades PK–12, is seeking a Senior Accountant - Revenue Recognition to join our mission-driven team of professionals.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1,000 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students
We are currently seeking a high-performing and detail-oriented Senior Accountant or Staff Accountant (commensurate with experience) to help develop and grow the Company's revenue accounting operations. Responsibilities include monthly revenue recognition accounting processes, including monthly journal entries, performing account reconciliations, assisting with audit preparations, and performing other accounting duties as assigned. This individual should have solid working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and ACS 606 revenue recognition compliance. This position will provide revenue recognition guidance to the business, execute monthly financial analysis, and participate in the monthly close process for revenue. Additionally, the Senior Accountant will review deferred revenue and other accounts, review all required reserves and adjustments, analyze data, and review and/or prepare reports for auditors and executives, as necessary. This position will also participate in special projects when revenue recognition expertise is needed, providing both technical and/or operational knowledge.
- Perform and review month-end close tasks associated with revenue recognition, including the preparation of deferred revenue reconciliations, validating deferred revenue, and the preparing monthly revenue journal entries
- Complete the preparation of schedules, reconciliations and reports in support of external audit ensuring that all revenue deliverables are met
- Support testing of system enhancements, development, and new product launches, including launch of automated deferred revenue module for subscription accounting
- Collaborate cross-functionally with legal, sales, and operations supporting contract negotiations and providing revenue recognition guidance on technical accounting policy and/or process issues
- Address technical accounting inquiries from the business and provide guidance on the Company’s revenue recognition policies
- Investigate trends and analyze data to support FP&A in explaining revenue and cost activity
- Provide revenue recognition guidance and training to cross-functional teams within the organization including sales, legal, accounting and finance
- Support development and maintenance of policies and procedures as relates to revenue recognition.
- Drive ad hoc and business-critical revenue accounting projects through to completion
- Support and participate on revenue related projects as requested
- Review non-standard revenue contracts, as necessary, to ensure appropriate revenue recognition in accordance with ASC 606 and the Company's revenue recognition policy
- 1-3 years of accounting work experience preferably with revenue recognition experience
- Strong background in the practical application of ASC 606 Revenue Recognition principles
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel to work with and analyze large data sets
- Ability to learn and navigate accounting systems. Working knowledge of Sage Intacct and/or Salesforce is a plus
- CPA or CPA candidate is preferred
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
- Outstanding analytical, communication, and technical skills and a can-do attitude
- Confidence, good judgment and strong interpersonal skills are necessary to successfully work in this dynamic, multi-business unit environment and interact across multiple business functions and with all levels of management
- Full-time position based in Washington D. C. or Richmond, VA
- The position is a 50/50 Hybrid Role
- Competitive Salary and Benefits Package
A cover letter and resume are required to be considered for this position.
If selected for an interview, a salary history and background check will be required.
New employees will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, subject to potential accommodation as required by law or otherwise permitted by the Company.
Any communication to applicants relating to the Great Minds hiring process will only come from email addresses with the domains greatminds.org or greatminds.recruitee.com. If in the course of the application or hiring process with Great Minds you are contacted through another domain, are requested to provide banking or other sensitive information, or you note any other suspicious activity, please contact email@example.com
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.