Science Content Editor (Multiple Roles – Editors, Senior Editors)
RemoteUnited States, District of Columbia, Washington DCScience
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK-12 instructional materials space, seeks experienced editors to join our dynamic, dedicated science team.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1000 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
OUR MARKET POSITION
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
Science Content Editors support the PhD Science program in its mission to provide accessible, Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) aligned science curricular materials to schools across the nation. A successful Science Content Editor demonstrates scientific expertise, English language proficiency, strong communication skills, attention to detail, and a collaborative spirit. A successful Senior Science Content Editor demonstrates these same qualities along with the ability to coach other editors and lead small projects.
The Science Content Editor is responsible for the following tasks, in addition to other tasks that directly support and ensure the success of the PhD Science program:
- collaborating with members of the science team, including curriculum developers, subject matter experts, science writing editors, and project managers, to develop scientifically rich, authentic content;
- revising content for scientific accuracy, consistency, style, clarity, and grade-level appropriateness;
- ensuring content meets the Great Minds Editorial Style Guide, the PhD Science Style Guide, and writing template guidelines;
- collaborating with teams in other departments, such as math, humanities, and production services;
- reviewing assets and final pages for accuracy; and
- completing work in a timely manner to meet an agreed-upon deadline.
The Senior Science Content Editor is responsible for the same tasks as the Science Content Editor along with the following tasks:
- coaching and overseeing the work of Science Content Editors;
- making editorial decisions for small projects with oversight from a Managing Editor or Associate Director;
- documenting processes and procedures for projects;
- assigning tasks and monitoring project schedules;
- maintaining consistency and quality across projects (e.g., grade levels); and
- completing production tasks or serving as the production point of content for projects (e.g., developing book maps for a grade, page proofs), often with oversight from a Managing Editor or Associate Director.
The Science Content Editor position requires the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, or related field; Master’s degree in science-related field or education a plus
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a writer or editor of science curricula or other scientific publications
- Experience with MS Office products; experience with Adobe products a plus
- Experience with implementing house editorial style guidelines
- Familiarity with the NGSS required
- Familiarity with Common Core State Standards a plus
- Experience with WCAG a plus
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style a plus
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail while maintaining a perspective of the totality of the project
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines while maintaining the quality of the product
- Ability to follow explicit instructions consistently but also to exercise good judgement when making work-related decisions
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, proofreading, and speaking
- Ability to quickly learn and master new technologies and processes
- Ability to positively receive and implement constructive feedback
- Ability to collaborate effectively with peers
- Available to travel for work-related commitments a plus
The Senior Science Content Editor position has the same requirements as noted above plus the following:
- 5+ years of experience as a writer or editor of science curricula or other scientific publications.
- Excellent leadership skills, particularly as a mentor.
• Bachelor's degree
If selected for an interview a background check will be required.
New employees will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, subject to potential accommodation as required by law or otherwise permitted by the Company.
The salary range displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in the state of Colorado if selected for the role. For residents of the State of Colorado the expected salary range for this position is $63,353.99 – $74,440.94. This range may vary above and below the expected amounts in the State of Colorado. In addition to the Company's benefit offerings, the position may be eligible for additional annual incentives at the Company's discretion. Any offered salary and other incentives are based on market data, applicant skills and relevant experience, degrees, certifications and internal equity considerations.
Any communication to applicants relating to the Great Minds hiring process will only come from email addresses with the domains greatminds.org or greatminds.recruitee.com. If in the course of the application or hiring process with Great Minds you are contacted through another domain, are requested to provide banking or other sensitive information, or you note any other suspicious activity, please contact email@example.com
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.