Quality Management Associate
The Associate for Quality Management supports the Production Services area at Great Minds, a rapidly growing organization developing world-class curricula for grades PK–12. At Great Minds, we believe every child is capable of greatness. Our mission is to ensure all students have access to a quality education in the full range of liberal arts and sciences.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to oversee and conduct quality assurance checks to all products ensuring high quality, content accuracy, and stylistic consistency of print and electronic formats. The individual that holds this position will also provide support on other various projects within the organization as needed.
Although Great Minds is based in Washington, D.C., this position is remote. Working under the direction of the Quality Management Manager and the Production Services Senior Manager, this role’s specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Style and Standards
- Compare original materials (marked up by copy edit and writers) with the final product to ensure all revisions are correctly implemented.
- Employ proofreading, formatting, and cross-checking skills as needed.
- Ensure that errors are properly corrected.
- Maintain familiarity with the Great Minds style guides and ensure products are consistent with the guidelines and style standards.
- Format and manage text, paragraphs, and documents in PDFs, Word, Excel, PPT, InDesign, and other file types as needed, including:
- apply styles and document-wide settings
- work with templates
- create/modify tables and columns
- insert and format images
- insert/format different headers and footers within the same document
- format page numbering
- troubleshoot basic formatting issues
- convert Word to InCopy; link InCopy into InDesign
- manage intake and delivery of files
- perform other tasks related to document management as directed.
- Maintain skills and familiarity with the most current edition of MS Word, Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign), SharePoint, and other relevant management/tracking and document management programs.
- Use Sharepoint and other document management sites for appropriate projects.
- Communicate in a timely and effective manner to resolve questions and to ensure that errors are properly corrected.
- Complete projects to meet deadlines.
- Perform other tasks as directed.
- BA degree in English or related field preferred
- Minimum four years of professional experience
- Minimum two years of proofreading experience
- Experience in copy editing, proofreading, and formatting
- Experience with CMOS
- Experience with layout and formatting using Adobe Creative Cloud—particularly InDesign. InCopy and Photoshop are a plus.
- Relevant experience in publishing highly desired
- K–12 mathematics, English language arts, or science curriculum background a plus
In addition, the right candidate will possess the following “must have” attributes:
- Ability to thrive in a deadline-driven, high-volume production environment
- Outstanding communication skills both in writing and speaking
- Detail-oriented to the smallest degree but also able to see the big picture
- Flexibility to easily switch between tasks and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Personable with the ability to maintain a sense of humor under pressure
- High degree of professionalism
- Experience working within a remote team a plus
- Desire to learn new skills and technologies and the acumen to suggest alternative work methods in the interest of saving time and resources
- A passion for producing at the highest levels of quality
All candidates will be required to complete a vetting task for both InDesign and proofreading/editing.
Selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal history background check