RemoteWashington, District of Columbia, United StatesDigital Product
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK–12 instructional materials space, seeks a Principal Engineer to join our dynamic, growing Engineering team.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1000 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
Our Market Position
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
The Principal Engineer is a senior-level individual contributor architect. This person will ensure the software solutions we build are aligned to business and product requirements and deliver amazing customer experiences. Some organizations may refer to this role as a solution architect. We’re looking for someone that’s excited to design and evolve our content management system architecture and work with our content teams and product owners on authoring and publishing systems and workflows. Experience in any publishing industry or any area with a rich content production workflow (preferably in education) will be helpful.
- Collaborate with product management to creatively design technology solutions that meet business and product requirements
- Communicate (written and verbal) technical architecture decisions and designs to software engineers so they can effectively implement each design
- Coach and mentor junior and senior software engineers
- Review application code to ensure adherence to Great Minds technology standards
- Develop prototypes and reference architecture implementations to prove out and/or communicate application architecture
- Define and maintain organization technology standards
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- 8+ years of software engineering experience, of which 3 or more of those years show proven experience creating high-level architectural specifications and ensuring software solutions are consistently aligned to business and product requirements
- Expertise designing cloud-native application architectures
- Ability to code application prototypes and reference architectures using one or more of the following languages/frameworks:
NodeJS/Typescript, React, Terraform, NestJS
- Proven ability to effectively communicate application architecture (written and verbal) to multiple audiences, including product, business,
and software engineers
- Sense of intellectual curiosity and a passion for learning with a strong problem-solving mindset
- Proven ability working with Content Management Systems (CMS) and/or dynamic content authoring workflows
- Experience in Education, EdTech, or Media Publishing is preferred
Selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal history background check.
Any communication to applicants relating to the Great Minds hiring process will only come from email addresses with the domains greatminds.org or greatminds.recruitee.com. If in the course of the application or hiring process with Great Minds you are contacted through another domain, are requested to provide banking or other sensitive information, or you note any other suspicious activity, please contact email@example.com
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.