RemoteWashington, District of Columbia, United StatesDigital Product
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK–12 instructional materials space, seeks a Principal Engineer to join our dynamic, growing Engineering team.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1000 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
Our Market Position
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
The Great Minds digital product team has a mission to amplify proven high-quality curriculum products through world class software to impact millions of educators and learners in ways the world has not yet experienced.
The Principal Engineer is a senior-level engineer who is both a hands-on contributor as well as responsible for the technical design and architecture of our systems. The person filling this role ensures the software solutions we build deliver amazing customer experiences. We’re looking for someone that’s excited to design and evolve our digital learning product to positively impact the lives of teachers and students. Experience in any publishing industry or any area with a rich content production workflow (preferably in education) will be helpful.
- Collaborate with product managers and product designers to build great product
- Evaluate, decide and implement technical architecture decisions and designs and communicate those decisions to others
- Coach and mentor software engineers
- Review application code to ensure Great Minds is releasing high quality software
- Define and maintain organization technology standards
- 7+ years of software engineering experience, of which 3 or more of those years show proven experience designing technical solutions at the component or module level
- Expertise designing and operating in a cloud-native application environment (preferably with AWS)
- Ability to effectively communicate application architecture (written and verbal) to multiple audiences
- Sense of intellectual curiosity and a passion for learning with a strong problem-solving mindset
- Experience working with Content Management Systems (CMS) and/or dynamic content authoring workflows is a plus
- Experience in Education, EdTech, or Media Publishing is a plus
Selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal history background check.
The base salary range for this position is $165,000-$187,000, however the offered salary may be higher or lower than the above range dependent on numerous factors including, but not limited to location, work experience, skills and internal equity considerations. The base salary is not inclusive of benefits or other incentives.
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.