Manager, Assets and Permissions and DAM
Great Minds, a rapidly growing non-profit organization developing world class curricula for PK-12, seeks a Manager, Assets and Permissions to join our dynamic, dedicated team. Our mission is to ensure all students have access to a quality education and the full range of liberal arts and sciences.
The uncompromising curriculum from Great Minds assumes that every child is capable of greatness. We bring teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™, and PhD Science™, all give school teachers what they need to take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences.
The Manager, Assets & Permissions provides all management responsibilities for the Assets and Permissions Team and the Digital Asset Management team at Great Minds. Duties include all management responsibilities and leading a small but very productive team of photo researchers, freelancers and suppliers in securing permissions and digital assets. The position requires managing the Assets and Permissions as well as the Digital Asset Management Team at Great Minds. The position will ensure that all images and other digital assets are distributed to the curriculum teams with the proper clearance and credit information in a timely and accurate manner as required for publications. The Manager, Assets and Permissions position reports to the Sr. Manager, Production Services. Specific responsibilities include the following and will be performed under the direction of the GM Sr. Manager, Production Services.
- This position requires at least 5 years of managing a team of 3-7 employees, supplier-based permissions and freelancers. Proven ability to manage a team of remote employees including resource allocation of work, employee mentoring and administering evaluations and training as needed.
- This position will be required to identify, evaluate the best options and set up external resources to accomplish the large volume of permissions needed for our Science and Math projects with 1000s of images. This will require understanding of the RFP process and vetting supplier based resources to work with Great Minds.
- As the Manager, conduct photo research as well as managing the other Assets and Permissions associates, freelancers and required suppliers to:
- Identify and manage stock agencies, archives, museums, photographers, and individuals for subject-specific images
- Negotiate contracts with stock agencies: Getty Images, Shutterstock, Alamy, Art Resource, National Geographic
- Research and confirm copyright and use permissions for fine art works and determine if multiple rightsholders exist
- Deliver high-resolution images along with accurate caption and credit information
- Provide asset reviews for all Great Minds products and content requiring asset and text permissions
- Work with the Team Heads of the content teams, content team leads and imaging associates in Science, Math and Humanities content teams to ensure the best process for image asset acquisition, permissions and delivery to the Great Minds Digital Asset Management System.
- Review text, image, and video asset requests in the Digital Asset Management system and verify original sources and determine copyright status of third-party assets. Confirm public domain assets and determine whether fair use applies.
- Research copyright restrictions on requested assets and coordinate permissions research and rights documentation
- Customize permissions request letters to rights holders to GM specifications to obtain required rights for each project, including print, web/electronic, and PDF distribution
- Request permission directly from rightsholders or through their online permissions systems
- Manage, review and approve permissions agreements
- Notify requestor of any restrictions of use
- Negotiate fees if necessary
- Capture complete and accurate credits information
- Keep the Sr. Manager, Production Services and appropriate Content team leads informed about high-risk requests and permission issues such as refusals, high licensing fees, and orphan works.
- Set up processes for researching and provide back-up image options as necessary to ensure production schedules are met or exceeded for images that may be problematic to secure permissions.
- Understand the production process and file management of GM assets in the digital asset management system
- Lead the Digital Asset Management Team to prepare and process high-resolution digital image files and other digital assets for inclusion in the Digital Asset Management asset bank. Track and update permissions metadata as needed.
- Set up and run weekly meetings as necessary to lead the Assets and Permissions and Digital Asset Management teams
- Manage permissions licenses and invoices to the Contracts department and Accounts Payable for company signature and direct payment to rightsholders
- Maintain project specific permissions log reports through the Bynder Digital Asset Management system for all permissioned assets. Ensure the management team receives weekly reports and updates as required
- Work with the Art and Page Template Manager to keep tight scheduling of the A+P and DAM Team members in Smart Sheet and 10K as required for correct reporting of projects and resource management
- Train and advise staff and freelancers on rights issues, restrictions, copyright law and asset resources
- Review new projects with writers and make suggestions for asset resources
- Consult with Legal to create a stock license template that includes rights terms, warranties and mediation language
Qualifications: At least 5 years of experience in rights and permissions and direct management of teams in asset permissions, including image research, digital asset management, permissions clearance, and contract negotiation.
- Prior experience in the publishing industry (educational, most desired, but other industries acceptable)
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to lead a Great Minds remote team of employees as well as US and offshore based freelancers and suppliers as needed
- Able to multi-task and work under tight schedules and deadlines
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate with all levels of the Great Minds Management Team, Content teams, Sales, Marketing and outside customers to ensure communications by the Assets and Permissions Team are appropriate and professional internally and externally
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Basic computer skills, including working knowledge of MS Office
Selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal history background check.