Manager, Art and Page Template Production
Great Minds, a rapidly growing non-profit organization developing world-class curricula for grades PK-12, is seeking a Manager, Art and Page Template Production to join our mission-driven team of professionals. At Great Minds, we believe every child is capable of greatness. Our mission is to ensure all students have access to a quality education and the full range of liberal arts and sciences.
The uncompromising curriculum from Great Minds assumes that every child is capable of greatness. We bring teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™, and PhD Science™, all give school teachers what they need to take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Production Services; the Manager of Art and Page Template Production oversees the production of all raster, vector and animation images, 1, 2 and 4 color art, page templates and digital assets of print and digital delivery for humanities, mathematics and science. This role is accountable for managing the creation of all art, images and creation of page elements and templates for all Great Minds curriculum.
- Create image processing workflows and processes that ensure the most efficient, accurate and economical creation of all artwork needed for all Great Minds curricula, marketing and page creation requirements.
- Manage the creation of illustrations, page layout, page templates, font usage, photographic content, video and digital design elements for production.
- Oversee the work of independent illustrators, production art creation teams, and photographers at Great Minds and externally using outsourced teams.
- Manage the process for tracking and reporting on image creation for large projects with 1000s of images. Be responsible for managing and reporting to management the production efficiency of image production through our digital asset management system Bynder.
- Manage the creation of covers and internal page designs for print curricular products and teacher/administrator documents.
- Manage the creation of screen art for online and video based digital resources.
- Monitor the development, editorial, and production processes to ensure image and page creation specifications are followed correctly to final output requirements for production.
- Ensure the delivery of all content design elements, art programs and graphics formats follow the required specifications for output in print, online, electronic and multimedia deliverables.
- Partner with others in the organization to establish systems for getting feedback on art and image elements throughout the lifecycle of the products.
- Work collaboratively with other academic teams across the organization to continuously vet principles and practices against organizational strategy and vision.
- Embrace, exemplify, and incorporate an academic mindset that values an iterative cycle of ideation, thought partnering, prototyping, drafting, development, review, and revision.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or extensive background in image and art production and process in a book publishing environment.
- 5 + years of experience as an art production manager for print publications; Image design and artwork creation.
- Ability to manage a team of internal, freelance and outsourced resources. Manage individual team members to allocate resources and production as needed.
- Reporting of production using system based reporting or MS Excel to deliver weekly management reports as needed.
- Understanding of image color management and output to CMYK, RGB and required color profiles for large image projects for print and digital delivery.
- Understanding of file formats for art, image, animation and video delivery.
- Demonstratable understanding of the differences of creating art in vector or raster-based formats and the benefits and requirements for each.
- Understanding of the effects of print on image output, press dot gain and required correction in image files for print for covers and interior page output on digital press, sheetfed and web press output.
- Understanding of digital asset management systems and how images should be stored and archived for future reuse and asset management.
- Proven skills in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign page template creation for print and online delivery a must.
- Track record in leading a creative production team – includes talent assessment; organizing, prioritizing and assigning work; administrative management responsibilities; feedback/coaching; mentoring to raise performance and ability to track production processing and progress for ongoing improvement.
- Ability to problem solve design and image element issues with the production team, printers and product delivery vendors and implement image and art production solutions with the design teams in Math, Humanities and Science.
- Experience in book art production
- Experience as a manager for digital art content creation
- Strong conceptual thinker and creative problem solver
- Ability to translate production requirements to designers and other stakeholders to spark further idea generation or refinement for art and image production
- Resilience in accepting creative feedback and managing multiple inputs while being able to clearly articulate a well thought out point of view
- Extensive experience and proficiency with current graphic design software and tools, practices and procedures including Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Word, and others required to accomplish creation, review and output for print and digital delivery
- A passion to lead art production across print and electronic delivery to multiple product deliverables. Knowledge of how to create the highest quality product with excellent graphical image production for output
- Ability to give direction and critique with diplomacy to the art production team of 4 people
- Ability to work closely with multiple design teams and interact with production teams remotely
- Ability to anticipate implications of artistic guidelines across varied products and media for print and digital output
- A flexible, versatile nature with the willingness to prioritize efforts to align with organizational goals
- A sensitivity to audience, political circumstance, market realities, and customer needs across communications
- An academic and growth mindset
- An intellectual curiosity, and a keen attention to detail
- A propensity to thrive in both in-person and remote work settings
- Located in Washington DC; this position can be remote.
- Excellent benefits package
- Please apply on our Careers page: https://greatminds.recruitee.com.
- If selected a background check will be required.
Applicants MUST provide a link to an online portfolio or a PDF (no larger than 10 MB) that presents your best work both in range and execution. Presentation should include image/art items created by the applicant showing acumen in book design and output to print and digital delivery. The portfolio should contain examples of past printed and digital pieces if available.