Louisiana ELA Content Leader
At Great Minds®, our rigorous curricula rest on the foundational belief that every child is capable of greatness. We bring teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English language arts (ELA) curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, gives teachers what they need to help students hone their ELA skills and build knowledge across a range of topics.
Teachers and Instructional Leaders in Louisiana can develop and share their ELA knowledge and skills by becoming certified Content Leaders. According to the Louisiana Department of Education’s website, the Louisiana Content Leader initiative is designed to “create leadership pathways for talented local educators” who deeply understand literacy instruction and want to learn how to use that understanding to facilitate professional development, coach other teachers, and support colleagues. The Content Leader certification is also a step toward Louisiana principal certification.
In August 2019, Louisiana’s Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) approved Great Minds as a provider of ELA Content Leader training. In the summer of 2020, we training our first cohort of K–8 Content Leaders for Louisiana schools that use Wit & Wisdom.
The program provides Content Leaders with opportunities for great professional growth. During the yearlong program, they will
xperience Wit & Wisdom professional development (PD) during the 2021–2022 school year,
- learn to facilitate Wit & Wisdom PD sessions in their own districts, and
- reflect and grow with colleagues across the state of Louisiana.
Who should apply?
We encourage applications from outstanding Wit & Wisdom teachers, instructional coaches, and ELA curriculum specialists with the following characteristics:
- Experience using Wit & Wisdom at any grade level, K–8, as the primary curriculum in their school or district
- Passion for teaching Wit & Wisdom and desire to learn more about the curriculum
- Enthusiasm for working with other educators
- Ability to foster productive struggle among colleagues and students
- Commitment to knowledge building and an integrated approach to developing skills
- Belief that every child is capable of greatness
What principles guide the Wit & Wisdom approach to professional development?
Wit & Wisdom professional development sessions
- deepen understanding of the curriculum,
- build knowledge of underlying research,
- foster productive struggle and an inquiry-based approach to learning, and
- deliver practical strategies for successful implementation.
For more information, see “About Wit & Wisdom’s Guiding Philosophy for Professional Development” at http://witeng.link/wwpdphilosophy.
What are the requirements for the Content Leader training?
Content Leaders will
- attend at least 45 hours (90 percent) of in-person training sessions,
- facilitate an in-person Wit & Wisdom PD session for their school or district,
- create and execute an implementation plan,
- be observed teaching in the classroom and facilitating professional development,
- complete all assigned self-study and assessment requirements, and
- attend at least 80 percent of the webinars.
Why become a Content Leader?
Content Leaders will have the opportunity to do the following:
- Deepen their expertise of the Wit & Wisdom curriculum while receiving training and coaching from Wit & Wisdom leaders and facilitators to deliver PD sessions
- Receive direct coaching and support in Wit & Wisdom instruction and PD facilitation from experienced Wit & Wisdom educators
- Broaden their perspective on ELA education by collaborating with other Wit & Wisdom educators across Louisiana
- Share experiences and best practices to support colleagues in effectively implementing Wit & Wisdom
- Extend their networks of professional learning with the Wit & Wisdom team and other ELA professionals with whom they interact as Content Leaders
- Take one step toward Louisiana principal certification
How will a school or district benefit from having a Wit & Wisdom Content Leader on staff?
- The school or district will collaborate with Great Minds’ staff to analyze and strengthen their implementation of Wit & Wisdom.
- The school or district will increase its internal capacity and expertise to support ongoing implementation of Wit & Wisdom.
- Content Leaders will be able to provide the full suite of Wit & Wisdom PD sessions to their home school or district.
- Content Leaders will have extensive opportunities to develop a network of other Wit & Wisdom implementers, giving their school and district access to that network and the resulting additional support that network will provide.
How do I apply to become a Content Leader?
Complete the application form and questions.
As part of your application, please submit
- your resume,
- a cover letter, and
- a letter of recommendation from your current school or district stating full support of your participation in the Content Leader training.
Your application and resume should describe your
- experience teaching or leading Wit & Wisdom,
- experience delivering professional development,
- education, and
- related experience.
What should I include in my cover letter?
Please submit a cover letter that answers the following questions:
- How long have you used Wit & Wisdom as a primary instructional resource? At what grade level(s)?
- Which Wit & Wisdom PD sessions have you attended? What were your two most valuable takeaways? (If you are unsure of the session title(s), please provide a brief description of the session focus.)
- Why are you interested in becoming a Content Leader? What would make you an effective Content Leader?
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.