Director Supply Chain and Logistics
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK-12 instructional materials space, seeks an experienced Director, Supply Chain & Logistics.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 900 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
OUR MARKET POSITION
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
At Great Minds, the Director Supply Chain and Logistics is responsible for overseeing and managing the company's overall printed book supply chain and the warehouse and fulfillment operations. The role will cover both higher-level strategic planning and tactical, day-to-day operations to ensure service levels are met and the processes are optimized for peak season demand and to achieve maximum efficiencies. In addition, this role will be responsible for reviewing existing vendor performance, identifying new vendors as needed, and developing and maintaining strong working relationships with the supply chain vendor network.
In this role, important strategic judgment is required to distribute the requisite work across the Great Minds’ network to achieve stated objectives. Key criteria for that decision-making will be based on cost, quality, and capacity metrics. Strategic judgment will require a thorough understanding the potential vendor landscape and macro-level trends in the printed book supply chain.
Reporting to the Chief Business Operations Officer, this role work together to develop operating budgets and strategic plans to improve productivity, quality, and efficiency of operations.
- Develop the supply chain strategy and implementation including systems/tools/process improvements for planning, procurement, logistics, fulfillment, warehousing, and inventory management.
- Work with functional business peers in operations, finance, marketing, and sales to improve the forecasting process and overall planning execution to sustain high levels of customer satisfaction, while reducing costs and improving working capital turnover.
- Assure new product introduction plans are fully coordinated with and consider supplier delivery capabilities.
- Manage & drive improvements in the supply chain process leading to improved forecast accuracy, to enable improved service levels and working capital turns improvements
- Lead warehouse optimization and footprint initiatives including locations, route to market, and decisions on which products to carry in different warehouses.
- Manage and improve inventory turns and reduce obsolescence across all regional warehouse locations.
- Lead negotiation efforts for all supply chain vendor contracts.
- Develop and maintain excellent vendor relationships with 3rd party partners
- Develop and manage warehouse and logistics budgets
- Establish annual goals and objectives, (including stretch targets) in coordination with the Chief Business Operations Officer and determine key supply chain KPIs to ensure attainment
- Participate in existing and new product planning processes to assure timely acquisition of materials to support product launches.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business or equivalent, Master’s degree preferred.
- 10-15 years progressive experience in purchasing and materials management roles
- 5-10 years of direct management experience in warehousing and logistics
- Proven leadership skills in building and managing large teams with a history of world class
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated capability to build teams and manage high-performing teams
- Senior level supply chain and logistics experience with a track record of operational excellence
- Exceptional analytical, organizational, and planning skills to optimize and drive efficiency in the end-to-end supply chain.
- Broad knowledge of P&L, Balance Sheet, ROI.
- Strong working knowledge of software used to support key functional areas in the supply chain.
- Experience negotiating and seeking compromise collaboratively with external and internal stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple priorities in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
- Proven leadership capable of inspiring and driving productivity whilst building best-in-class capabilities and growing successful teams.
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal and listening skills; relaxed giving presentations in front of small groups of people including executives, vendors and customers (both internal and external) at all levels of an organization.
- Not afraid to challenge the status quo to disrupt and improve processes to achieve results.
- An independent mindset, valuing collaborative decision making, capable of championing ideas with confidence
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.