RemoteWashington, District of Columbia, United StatesSuccess
Great Minds, a rapidly growing Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) that develops high-quality knowledge-building instructional materials for grades PK–12, seeks a Director, Research to join our dynamic Success team.
Great Minds brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our curricula, Wit & Wisdom®; Geodes; Eureka Math™; and PhD Science™ all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1,100 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
Our Market Position
Great Minds’ Eureka Math™ is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka Math™ and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom® and PhD Science™, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
The Director of Research is a newly created role responsible for building, leading delivering and maintaining the company-wide academic research agenda, including Great Minds print, digital, and services offerings. This role is responsible for leading internally and externally conducted research studies in accordance with the company’s academic research agenda. The Director of Research will serve as the primary partner to academic managers across Great Minds in developing the company’s research agenda, just as the Director is a partner to internal and external researchers commissioned to answer critical questions.
This role is an exceptional opportunity for skilled leaders who have led such work for organizations. Applicants may be experienced in leading large-scale research projects from start to finish, including coordinating research staff, managing data collection and analysis efforts, and providing strategic direction throughout the research process.
The Director of Research will lead a research organization capable of supporting the academic research needs of teams across Great Minds and capable of developing research partnerships and studies that drive internal learning and position the company as a source of learning for the education industry. Responsibilities include
- Developing and maintaining a research agenda, in partnership with managers across the company comprised of critical research questions;
- Ensure Great Minds is meeting standards of evidence required in regulations, by customers, and by the company’s mission;
- Develop a network of external researchers and other partners who can resource and conduct rigorous evaluations of Great Minds products, implementations, and user experiences;
- Use research findings to inform product development, implementation strategy, and other strategic capabilities across Great Minds
- Manage a team of one research manager and one internal researcher
- 7+ years’ experience in the design and implementation of rigorous evaluation, within or without formal research institutions.
- Experience working within operating education organizations such as state agencies, school districts, charter schools, publishers, and capacity-building partners.
- Fluency in research method types, standards, and quality of research
- Proficiency in statistics and fluency in determining effects is preferred
- Strong storytelling ability that translates research findings into action
- Advanced degrees are not required
- Passion for and commitment to the importance of high-quality, knowledge-rich curriculum
- Commitment to high standards, instructional quality, and continuous improvement for oneself and others
- Receptivity to feedback with a focus on reflective practice
- Highly collaborative with the ability to consistently exhibit diplomacy, tact, and integrity
- Appreciation for the challenges and victories faced every day by educators
- Empathy, curiosity, and the desire to continually grow as a learner
- Deep belief that every child is capable of greatness
- Experience and knowledge of K-12 education with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in the field
Great Minds Leadership
- Cultivate and maintain a strong and supportive Great Minds culture in all work environments, with an emphasis on trust, collegiality, curiosity, and quality
- Bring experience, innovation, and critical thinking skills to the role while modeling habits of sharing candidly, listening actively, and supporting decisions made by the team
- Support the professional growth and development of Great Minds employees
- Communicate across multiple Great Minds teams (Implementation Services, Operations and Analytics, Services Development and Design, and Research and Policy)
- Provide timely communications to the Success leadership team to address priorities, challenges, feedback, and other matters relevant to Great Minds and its mission
- Superior skills in communicating ideas through verbal descriptions, presentations, and written documentation, conveying an understanding of both the big ideas and the critical, differentiating details
- Bachelor’s degree
- Great Minds research team members work in Washington, Richmond, or remotely.
- Future travel (~20%) may be required , including conferences or study sites
Chief Success Officer
New employees will be required to successfully complete a background check.
The expected base salary range for this position is $132,000.00-$172,000.00. The offered salary, benefits and other incentives are dependent on numerous factors including, but not limited to location, work experience, skills and internal equity considerations.
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.