DevOps Engineering Manager
RemoteUnited States, District of Columbia, Washington DCTechnology
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK-12 instructional materials space, seeks an experienced DevOps Engineering Manager to join our Information Technology team.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1,000 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
Our Market Position
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
The DevOps Engineering Manager is the leader of all things DevOps as it relates to our custom-developed consumer-facing products. They coach and manage a small team of Great Minds DevOps engineers. They also act as a product owner, of sorts, for DevOps capabilities at Great Minds. Successful candidates for this position get joy from automating processes that were previously manual. They think about cycle time, deployment frequency, promotion of code from environment to environment. They are able to review a process, identify issues, and prioritize solutions to address those. Our software was born in the cloud. Successful candidates are fluent in AWS and cloud native architectures and tools. This role will be somewhere between 10% and 30% hands-on, as determined by how you would like to fill the role. You enjoy coaching and mentoring others to build the next generation of DevOps leaders and practitioners.
- Identify process and automation improvements and prioritize them in the DevOps team backlog
- Coach software engineers and testers on AWS components that can be used as part of their application and how best to automate their provisioning
- Provide technical guidance to DevOps team members through design sessions, code reviews, and pair programming
- Implement CI/CD and infrastructure automation using a combination of Github Actions, Terraform, and Node
- Implement scripts to be executed from Rundeck to automate recurring tasks related to access management or infrastructure
- Assist the Director of Software Engineering on compliance and information security projects
- Extensive knowledge of cloud native application architectures, including the following: serverless, containerization, infrastructure-as-code
- Expertise in developing infrastructure-as-code with elements of the following tech stack: NodeJS / Typescript, Terraform or Cloud Formation, Github Actions, Ansible
- Extensive knowledge of CI/CD principles and solutions
- Expertise in the craft of software engineering, including knowledge of modern software engineering practices (git source control, CI/CD, package management, code quality metrics, code review practices).
- AWS Solution Architect or DevOps Associate level (or higher) certification preferred, or equivalent body of knowledge
- Able to manage teams of 3-10 DevOps engineers, including Great Minds and consulting team members
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to identify problems and design workable solutions in cloud architecture or in software development workflows
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Washington, DC preferred or remote (Eastern and Central US time zones)
New employees will be required to successfully complete a background check and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, subject to potential accommodation as required by law.
Any communication to applicants relating to the Great Minds hiring process will only come from email addresses with the domains greatminds.org or greatminds.recruitee.com. If in the course of the application or hiring process with Great Minds you are contacted through another domain, are requested to provide banking or other sensitive information, or you note any other suspicious activity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.