Curriculum Designer, Standards and Assessment
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK-12 instructional materials space, seeks a Curriculum Designer for Standards and Assessment in Grades 6-8 to join our dynamic Humanities team.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1000 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
OUR MARKET POSITION
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
The Curriculum Designer, Standards and Assessment supports the Senior Curriculum Designer, Standards and Assessment to execute the vision for standards alignment and assessment strategy for the Wit & Wisdom curriculum. This Curriculum Designer position will focus on and work closely with the content development team in the Grades 6-8 band within the Humanities department. This role is an exceptional opportunity for experienced teachers, writers, and curriculum developers who possess Grades 6-8 content knowledge and pedagogical expertise, passion for high-quality, knowledge-building curriculum, and the belief that every child is capable of greatness. This role also requires deep knowledge, understanding, and experience with standards-aligned instruction, backward-designed curriculum, and assessment development at the middle school level. While the work is remote and the ideal candidate will work well independently, this will also be a highly collaborative position, necessitating a strong sense of teamwork and cooperation.
- Sr. Curriculum Designer, Standards and Assessment
- Support the Sr. Curriculum Designer in executing the curricular vision for standards alignment in the development of Wit & Wisdom in Grades 6-8
- Provide ongoing feedback and support regarding standards-aligned instruction to the curriculum development team by:
- Developing and facilitating professional learning sessions,
- Creating and leading mini workshops,
- Holding regularly scheduled office hours, and
- Reviewing content to provide targeted and educative feedback on standards alignment.
- Support the Sr. Curriculum Designer in fulfilling the assessment strategy in the development of Wit & Wisdom in Grades 6-8
- Continually collaborate with the content development team to study and understand the knowledge and skills being built in the modules.
- Design high-quality assessments that drive instruction in the Grades 6-8 grade-band by:
- Developing standards-aligned rubrics for writing and speaking tasks,
- Reviewing and supporting creation of writing and speaking tasks, and
- Creating reading comprehension assessments.
- Collaborate effectively with the Sr. Curriculum Designer, Grades 6-8 Curriculum Lead, Managing Editor, Content Leads, and Curriculum Developers on instructional decision making related to standards and assessment to ensure consistency of content
- Adhere to a deadline-driven workflow by completing the appropriate scope and sequence of work within the timeline required at each phase
- Exemplify Great Minds culture in all work environments, with an emphasis on trust, collegiality, continuous improvement, and quality
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Deep content knowledge in English Language Arts at the middle school level
- Substantial knowledge of and passion for the role of standards in middle school literacy
- Extensive understanding of and experience with the interdependent relationship between curriculum, instructional design, standards, and assessment
- Proficiency with or alignment to Wit & Wisdom’s instructional design and pedagogy
- Experience developing curriculum and assessments at the middle school level
- Familiarity with a mindset that values an iterative cycle of ideation, thought partnering, prototyping, drafting, development, review, and revision
- Strong organizational habits necessary for successful goal setting, project management, collective decision making, deadline execution, and record keeping
- Clear and succinct writing skills, with the ability to produce content aligned to the organizational and product vision
- Strong verbal and social communication skills needed to incorporate different points of view in service of developing a high quality product
- Strong editing skills with the capacity to handle incredibly precise and detail-oriented work, using a set of editorial guidelines
- Facility working with tools required within digital spaces (e.g., Google Suite)
- Passion for and commitment to the importance of high-quality, knowledge-rich curriculum
- Avid commitment to and concern for details required in accomplishing a task, no matter how small
- Capacity to embrace a learner mindset that is receptive to and elevates different perspectives
- Appreciation for the challenges and victories faced every day by classroom teachers
- Commitment to high standards, instructional quality, and continuous improvement
- Empathy, curiosity, and the desire to continually grow as a learner
- Ability to remain flexible in an ambiguous, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Proficiency at both working independently and collaborating as part of a team
- Receptivity to feedback with a focus on reflective practice
- Positivity in all situations, bringing proactive problem-solving orientation to every task
- Commitment to collective authorship
- Deep belief that every child is capable of greatness
- Future travel (5-10%) may be required.
The salary range displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in the state of Colorado if selected for the role. For residents of the State of Colorado the expected salary range for this position is $63,353.99 – $74,440.94. This range may vary above and below the expected amounts in the State of Colorado. In addition to the Company's benefit offerings, the position may be eligible for additional annual incentives at the Company's discretion. Any offered salary and other incentives are based on market data, applicant skills and relevant experience, degrees, certifications and internal equity considerations.
If selected for an interview a background check will be required.
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.