Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK-12 instructional materials space, seeks an experienced Creative Director.
Great Minds brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs almost 600 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
OUR MARKET POSITION
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students. Our approach is disruptive, calling for atypical marketing methods that are consistent with our authentic and effective brand. We seek a Creative Director to capture this uniqueness; one who has led challenger products or brands; forged new approaches in traditional markets; and successfully established these products or brands as a new mainstay. Having PK – 12 education experience, or knowledge of this market, would be a plus.
Great Minds seeks a Creative Director to oversees the vision for our product – from design to packaging – which defines the customer experience. Reporting to the head of Marketing, the Creative Director will be responsible for developing engaging collateral for our customers that tells a story and elicits an emotional response from users in both digital and print. The candidate must understand the student and teacher user in order to design clear and beautiful products reflecting the craft and coherence of our Pre- K to 12 curricula.
The successful candidate will work closely with the design, graphic arts and marketing personnel to deliver content that exceeds the expectations of our clients.
- Determine the look and feel of new Great Minds products as part of the existing Great Minds product line.
- Recruit, build relationships, and oversee the work of independent illustrators, photographers, writers, and designers. Have a strong appreciation that illustrations, videos and ancillary multimedia will play an important part of student and teacher experience of the curriculum and products of the Great Minds brand.
- Delivering an extraordinary student and teacher experience with the program components.
- Set guidelines for the branding/placement of marks for Great Minds.
- Improves quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; recommending changes to art, copy writing, and production departments.
- Meets cost standards by monitoring expenses; implementing cost-saving actions.
- Develops basic presentation approaches by reviewing materials and information presented by product marketing.
- Determines production schedule by conferring with heads of art, copy writing, and production departments; outlining basic presentation concepts; coordinating creative activities.
- Bring new ideas and innovation to GM products. Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Monitors marketing mix and results by coordinating tracking actions with sales and marketing representatives.
- Bachelor's degree in relative major or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years in direct creative design work.
- Portfolio of previous work that displays an ability to turn an idea into a visual piece.
- Must have experience in book page design and/or digital UX experience.
- Must have experience managing internal and remote creative staff.
- 10+ years’ experience in design, implementing branding, and creative process applied to environments, print, and digital media.
- Experience in the education sector preferred.
- Experience as an art director/ creative director for digital content desired.
- Strong conceptual thinker and creative problem solver.
- Ability to storyboard/sketch or translate ideas to designers and other stakeholders to spark further idea generation or refinement.
- Resilience in accepting creative feedback and managing multiple inputs while being able to clearly articulate a well thought out point of view.
- Extensive experience and proficiency with current graphic design software and tools, practices and procedures including Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Word, HTML and others required to accomplish creation, review and output for print and digital delivery.
- Located in Richmond, VA; this position can be remote.
- Excellent benefits package.
- If selected for an interview, a salary history and background check will be required.
Applicants MUST provide a link to an online portfolio or a PDF (no larger than 10 MB) that presents your best work both in range and execution. Presentation should include design items created by the applicant showing acumen in book design and output to print and digital delivery. The portfolio should contain examples of past printed and digital pieces.