Washington, District of Columbia, United StatesLegal
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK-12 instructional materials space, seeks an experienced Contracts Specialist.
Great Minds brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs almost 1,200 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
OUR MARKET POSITION
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
As part of Great Minds’ Legal team, The Contracts Specialist’s primary role will be to contribute to the functions of the Contract Team under the direction of the Senior Contracts Manager. The ideal candidate is a detail oriented, self-starter who has at least 5 years of legal experience including contracts administration.
The Contracts Specialist is responsible for developing and maintaining Great Minds’ business contracts. They work closely with outside counsel to ensure binding agreements with contractors, vendors, and customers achieve the organization’s business goals and objectives. They provide guidance and reporting to internal business teams on corporate goals and objectives relating to contract activity. The Contracts Specialist reports to the Senior Contracts Manager.
Specifically, the Contracts Specialist will:
- Draft, evaluate, negotiate, and help execute formal, short form, and annual business contracts, including non-disclosure agreements, distribution agreements, sales/purchasing agreements, sub-contracts, consulting agreements, licensing agreements, statements of work, and master service agreements.
- Review and provide guidance about customer proposed terms and conditions, including those generated by public entities (e.g. school districts).
- Serve as the point of contact for Great Minds’ customers on contractual matters. Act as contractual “middleman” between company employees and customers, ensuring timely review and approval/reconciliation of variations.
- Serve as the internal focal point for communication with legal, finance and program teams for resolution of contract questions, issues, and disputes. Facilitate communication between finance and program offices to ensure the economic impact of terms and term options are well articulated and understood.
- Ensure that signed contracts are communicated to all relevant parties to provide contract visibility and awareness and support effective implementation, including notifying, in advance, relevant parties of key dates under the contracts.
- Identify, develop, and implement new contract policies and processes. Monitor compliance by company employees with established policies and procedures. Advise employees in practices and procedures relating to the contracts process.
- Maintain contractual records and documentation, including maintaining an inventory of all contracts, their key economic and legal terms, expiration dates, files, correspondence, amendments, clarifications, etc. as a contract is in process and through the lifetime of the contract
- Assist with contract lifecycle management for corporate-wide contracts utilizing the Concord platform.
- Support contract reviews and extensions as appropriate. Document any performance or compliance issues that might arise.
- Other duties, as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize tasks and successfully manage multiple deadlines.
- Experience developing and improving internal processes for completing tasks
- In depth knowledge of contractual terms and the ability to clearly explain and negotiate these terms.
- Self-starter and independent worker
- Strong communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of tools
- Flexibility and team approach with willingness to perform multiple types of tasks relating to contracts, administrative, and otherwise, as needs evolve.
- At least 3 years of experience in a law firm or legal business environment
- At least 3 years of experience in commercial contracts administration with preferred experience dealing with state and local contracts.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal history background check
- Full-time hybrid role (2 days/week) based in the Washington DC office (Navy Yard Metro).
- Salary based on experience
New employees will be required to successfully complete a background check.
Any communication to applicants relating to the Great Minds hiring process will only come from email addresses with the domains greatminds.org or greatminds.recruitee.com. If in the course of the application or hiring process with Great Minds you are contacted through another domain, are requested to provide banking or other sensitive information, or you note any other suspicious activity, please contact email@example.com
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.