Great Minds, a fast-growing company developing world class educational curricula for grades PK-12, seeks an Assistant Controller to join our dynamic dedicated team.
The uncompromising curriculum from Great Minds assumes that every child is capable of greatness. We bring teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™, and PhD Science™, all give school teachers what they need to take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Great Minds Eureka Math™ is the most used math curriculum in the United States.
The Assistant Controller, a position that reports to the Controller, will have significant accounting experience and an in-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and standard company practices. This position will perform complex accounting activities. Although the role will have managerial responsibilities, it is a very hands-on position that will involve active participation in the closing activities, account analyses, and cash reconciliation.
- Assist in all month-end and year-end closing activities including journal entry creation/posting, balance sheet reconciliations and expense allocations.
- Manage accounting staff including mentoring, training, development and performance management.
- Own activities within accounting team to ensure proper entries are made in payroll, job costing, benefits and various prepaid/advance accounts.
- Identify any discrepancies in the accounts, troubleshoot origin, and make correcting entries to ensure accurate financial reporting.
- Prepare GL account reconciliations and/or oversee the preparation within the team.
- Support and help lead payroll function, reconciliation, and reporting.
- Overseeing/managing payroll taxes, filings, and new business registrations.
- Interfacing with Human Resources to manage new processes, payroll changes, charge code structure, and W2 mapping.
- Reconciling and postings for Credit Cards, Travel and Expense, and other Disbursements.
- Reconciling of Bank Statements and Cash Applications.
- Coordinating Sales and Use tax as lead with Avalara tax software.
- Managing special projects related to consignment inventory and commissions.
- Assisting with financial and tax audits.
- Documenting and monitoring internal controls in support of accounting team.
- Coordinating complex accounting projects and initiatives with other members of the accounting and finance team or with other departments.
- Utilizing accounting, tax, and other business software to write reports and perform duties and responsibilities.
Qualification and Requirements
- 5-7 years progressive accounting experience: G/L entries, reconciliations, AP, AR, payroll, P/L reviews, and tax filings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- 2+ years managerial experience.
- Solid knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Current work experience with financial and accounting systems (NetSuite, Intacct or similar applications).
- Strong knowledge of MS Office and advanced skills in Excel.
- Strong attention to detail, proficient at establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Capability to work in fast-paced environment, with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to work in a positive and cooperative manner with fellow team members.
- Professional, punctual, dependable, reliable, with a desire to learn.
- Full-time, Exempt.
- Based in Washington DC near the Navy Yard Metro.
- Salary based on experience.
- Opportunity to grow into a more senior role.
Resume and cover letter required.
Selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal history background check.