Assets and Permissions Associate
The Assets & Permissions Associate provides assistance to the Assets and Permissions Team Lead and the Digital Asset Management team at Great Minds. General duties include photo research, securing permissions and digital assets, and ensuring that all images and other digital assets are distributed to the curriculum teams with the proper clearance and credit information. Position reports to the Art and Design Manager. Specific responsibilities include the following and will be performed under the direction of the GM Assets and Permissions team leadership.
- Conduct photo research
- Identify stock agencies, archives, museums, photographers, and individuals for subject-specific images
- Research and confirm copyright and use permissions for fine art works and determine if multiple rightsholders exist
- Deliver high-resolution images along with accurate caption and credit information
- Review text, image, and video asset requests in the Digital Asset Management system and verify original sources and determine copyright status of third-party assets. Confirm public domain assets and determine whether fair use applies.
- Research copyright restrictions on requested assets and coordinate permissions research and rights documentation
- Customize permissions request letters to GM specifications to obtain required rights for each project, including print, web/electronic, and PDF distribution
- Request permission directly from rightsholders or through their online permissions systems
- Review and approve permissions agreements, querying Assets and Permissions Team Lead whenever necessary
- Notify requestor of any restrictions of use
- Negotiate fees if necessary
- Capture complete and accurate credits information
- Keep Assets and Permissions Team Lead informed about high-risk requests and permission issues such as refusals, high licensing fees, and orphan works. Research and provide back-up image options as necessary.
- Understand the production process and file management of GM assets in the digital asset management system
- Assist the Digital Asset Management team prepare and process high-resolution digital image files and other digital assets for inclusion in the Digital Asset Management asset bank. Track and update permissions metadata as needed.
- Attend weekly meetings as necessary to support the Assets and Permissions and Digital Asset Management teams
- Submit permissions licenses and invoices to Contracts department and Accounts Payable for company signature and direct payment to rightsholders
- Maintain a project specific permissions log for all permissioned assets
Qualifications 2-3 years experience in rights and permissions, including image research, permissions clearance, and contract negotiation
- Prior experience in the publishing industry (educational, most desired, but other industries acceptable)
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Able to multi-task and work under tight schedules and deadlines
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Basic computer skills, including working knowledge of MS Office