Art Coordinator, Production Services
Great Minds, a rapidly growing non-profit organization developing world-class curricula for grades PK-12, is seeking an Art Coordinator, Production Services to join our mission-driven team of professionals. At Great Minds, we believe every child is capable of greatness. Our mission is to ensure all students have access to a quality education and the full range of liberal arts and sciences.
At Great Minds, we believe every child is capable of greatness. Our mission is to ensure all students have access to a quality education in the full range of the liberal arts and sciences.
In 2010, Great Minds published the Common Core Curriculum Maps for English Language Arts. This success was followed by being awarded three contracts to develop a PK–12 math curriculum for the New York State Education Department. Great Minds owns this curriculum, which is now widely used throughout the United States and known as Eureka Math.
The Great Minds business model has moved from grant and contract solicitation to direct revenue generation over the last three years. This model shift has produced consistent 20+% revenue growth year over year, in large part due to the success of Eureka Math. Great Minds’ recent release of Wit & Wisdom, their K–8 ELA curriculum, has already gained early adoption in the marketplace. With the imminent publication of core curricula in additional subjects, the company’s business model continues to evolve to sustain its steady and rapid growth.
Great Minds presently employs more than 200 people.
For additional information, please visit www.greatminds.org.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Production Services; the Art Coordinator, Production Services oversees the design and development of print and digital curricular lines in our humanities, mathematics and science. This role is accountable for designing the look and feel of the curricular elements, creating a clear and beautiful user experience, and insuring consistency with the Great Minds brand. Success in this role necessitates understanding the Great Minds brand and what differentiates our work from the market, and requires an understanding of both student and teacher user personas.
- Translate the Great Minds brand and the nuance of each grade level and academic discipline into comprehensive specifications for the creation of illustrations, page layout, page templates, font usage, photographic content, videos and digital design elements.
- Oversee the work of independent illustrators, production designers, photographers, videographers, and writers remotely. Have a strong appreciation that illustrations, videos and ancillary multimedia will play an important part of student and teacher experience of the curriculum and products of the Great Minds brand.
- Set guidelines for the branding/placement of marks for Great Minds and its partners
- Create covers and internal page designs for print curricular products and teacher/administrator documents.
- Create screen designs for online and video based digital resources.
- Monitor the development, editorial, and production processes to ensure design specifications are followed correctly to final output requirements for production.
- Lead comprehensive, on-going research to keep the department abreast of research and market practices in the creative elements of print and digital design, elevating recommendations on important new research and trends to curriculum directors.
- Ensure the delivery of all content design elements, art programs, graphics and video formats follow the required specifications for output in print, online, electronic and multimedia deliverables.
- Partner with others in the organization to establish systems for getting feedback on design elements throughout the lifecycle of the products. Analyze metrics to provide insights and assess impact of design elements on student and teacher perceptions.
- Work collaboratively with other academic teams across the organization to continuously vet principles and practices against organizational strategy and vision.
- Embrace, exemplify, and incorporate an academic mindset that values an iterative cycle of ideation, thought partnering, prototyping, drafting, development, review, and revision.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Fine Arts, Advertising, Marketing, or related fields, MFA preferred)
- 5 + years of experience as an art director for print publications; strong design and/or copywriting abilities required
- 10+ years’ experience in design, implementing branding, and creative process applied to environments, print, and digital media
- Track record in leading a creative production team – includes talent assessment; organizing, prioritizing and assigning work; administrative management responsibilities; feedback/coaching; mentoring to raise performance
- Ability to problem solve design element issues with the production team, printers and product delivery vendors and re-implement solutions across the design team
- Proven ability to drive brand and creative strategies through an organization
- Contribute top-level design work of one’s own, in addition to serving as a leader and inspiration
- Experience in the education sector preferred
- Experience as an art director for digital content desired
- Strong conceptual thinker and creative problem solver
- Ability to storyboard/sketch or translate ideas to designers and other stakeholders to spark further idea generation or refinement
- Resilience in accepting creative feedback and managing multiple inputs while being able to clearly articulate a well thought out point of view
- Extensive experience and proficiency with current graphic design software and tools, practices and procedures including Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Word, HTML and others required to accomplish creation, review and output for print and digital delivery
- A passion for graphic design across print and electronic delivery to multiple product deliverables
- Ability to give direction and critique with diplomacy
- Ability to manage a design team and interact with editorial and production teams remotely
- Ability to anticipate implications of artistic guidelines across varied products and media
- A flexible, versatile nature with the willingness to prioritize efforts to align with organizational goals
- A sensitivity to audience, political circumstance, market realities, and customer needs across communications
- An academic and growth mindset
- An intellectual curiosity, and a keen attention to detail
- A propensity to thrive in both in-person and remote work settings
- Located in Washington DC; this position can be remote.
- Excellent benefits package
- Please apply on our Careers page: https://greatminds.recruitee.com. If selected for an interview, a salary history and background check will be required.
Applicants MUST provide a link to an online portfolio or a PDF (no larger than 10 MB) that presents your best work both in range and execution. Presentation should include design items created by the applicant showing acumen in book design and output to print and digital delivery. The portfolio should contain examples of past printed and digital pieces.